Joe Sullivan Law Office
Legal services for commercial fishermen
Who we are:
Joe Sullivan Law Office PLLC clients include commercial fishermen and fishing businesses, fishermen’s cooperatives and non-profit organizations. The office is located at Fishermen’s Terminal in Seattle Washington.
We assist with:
- Entity formation, from single-owner businesses to large fishermen’s cooperatives and trade organizations
- Business transactions, including purchases, sales and financing of vessels, licenses, and fishing quota, and vessel charters, loans, and harvesting agreements
- Fishery co-management arrangements, such as bycatch reduction incentive programs and risk pooling agreements
- Administrative appeals
- Regulatory compliance and defense of fisheries enforcement actions
- Federal Fishery Management Council policy and regulatory advocacy
- Non-profit status recognition from the Internal Revenue Service
Joe’s fish law practice focuses on representing commercial fishermen, fishermen’s cooperatives and fishermen’s trade associations in business, regulatory and policy matters. He assists with forming businesses, developing and interpreting fishery policies and regulations, and vessel, license and quota transactions and financing. Joe also serves as legal counsel to a number of non-profit organizations. He holds the top peer review rating (AV Preeminent) from Martindale-Hubbell.
Before attending law school, he lived in Bethel, Alaska, from 1979 to 1987. While in Bethel, Joe was a Kuskokwim River skiff gillnetter, helped organize the Western Alaska Salmon Coalition (a salmon conservation and habitat protection organization), and served a term as Mayor. Joe served on the Board of Directors of the Southwest Alaska Municipal Conference – a regional economic development organization – for 20 years, and on the Board of Trustees for The Nature Conservancy of Alaska for nine years.
Stanford University, J.D.
Catholic University of America, B.A. Philosophy
Admitted to Practice:
Nettie has worked as a corporate paralegal in Seattle since 1995. Before moving to Seattle via Taos, New Mexico, Nettie worked at Coudert Brothers in New York in the European corporate group. Nettie has experience assisting with the formation and maintenance of corporations, limited liability companies, limited liability partnerships, fishermen’s cooperatives and nonprofit associations. She also assists harvesting cooperatives with fisheries matters and regulatory filings. Nettie is fluent in English, Dutch and French.
Fordham University, B.A. Political Science